The Highlanders opened the match with a new found determination on attack, although the Sharks matched this with an aggressive defensive effort.
JP Pietersen received a yellow card in the sixth minute, for deliberately knocking the ball down when the Highlanders were hot on attack. Aaron Smith opted for a quick tap, that ultimately led to nothing. Colin Slade attempted a penalty goal three minutes later, unluckily hitting the posts.
Shaun Treeby opened the scoring for the Highlanders in the tenth minute when he pounced on a cheeky grubber kick, Colin Slade adding the conversion to give the home side a 7-0 lead. The Sharks responded moments later when Meyer Mosman ran in for an easy try between the posts, Patrick Lambie converting to lock the scores up at 7-7.
Lambie grabbed the lead for the Sharks in the 28th minute, kicking a penalty after spending a lot of time pressuring the Highlanders defence close to the tryline. Slade had the opportunity to draw the scores back level moments later, although he hit the posts again with his attempt.
The Sharks further extended their lead to 15-7, five minutes out from halftime. Lwazi Mvovo finishing off a nice break, outpacing Ben Smith to score a try in the corner. Lambie’s conversion attempt from out wide hit the post.
Slade had another penalty shot to pull the home side closer heading into halftime, however he was off target and pushed the ball wide of the posts.
The Highlanders hit the board early in the second half when Aaron Smith took a quick-tap penalty, with a great result this time, as he ran in for a try. Slade added the extras to bring them within one point of the visitors. Slade kicked a penalty minutes later to give the Highlanders a 17-15 lead.
Another penalty goal by Colin Slade in the 51st minute pushed the Highlanders five points clear of the visiting South Africans, before Colin Slade added a try to his list for the night, finishing off a well worked Highlanders run started by Ben Smith to give the home side a 25-15 lead.
Meyer Bosman added a second try to his tally for the night with 20 minutes to play, finishing off a long passage of play where the Sharks spent a lot of time pressuring the Highlanders defence close to the line. Lambie added the conversion to close the gap up to 25-22.
The Sharks spent much of the remaining quarter inside the Highlanders 22m, pressuring the home sides line, but ultimately coming out second best. Brad Thorn received a yellow card late it the match which gave the Sharks a one player advantage, although they could not break the determine Highlanders defence.
The Highlanders claiming their first victory of the season 25-22, while giving Brad Thorn extra reason to celebrate following his 100th Super Rugby Match.
Sharks 22 (Meyer Bosman 2, Lwazi Mvovo Tries; Patrick Lambie 2 Conversions;  Lambie Penalties)
Highlanders 25 (Shaun Teeby, Aaron Smith, Colin Slade Tries; Colin Slade 2 Conversions; Colin Slade 2 Penalties)

SupeRugby logo header speights min 2 Degrees logo v2 University of Otago logo Swanndri placemakers new logo banner 104 Adidas Logo Small min