NZ Rugby Foundation Patron Release
- April 3, 2017
Media release: Wednesday, 29 March 2017, 12 noon
- All Black Great Richie McCaw joins rugby icon Sir Colin Meads as a Patron for the New Zealand Rugby Foundation
- Former All Black Captain Andy Leslie to succeed Tane Norton as President
Former All Black Captain, Richie McCaw, has been appointed as a Patron of the New Zealand Rugby Foundation.
Rugby Foundation Chief Executive, Lisa Kingi-Bon today announced, post the Annual General Meeting, that McCaw had accepted an invitation to become a Patron for the respected national organisation which, since 1986, has worked to support seriously injured rugby players and their families.
McCaw will join All Black great, Sir Colin Meads, who is already the Patron. The Foundation’s charter allows, as of today, for the appointment of more than one Patron. Sir Colin nominated Richie’s appointment.
Of his appointment, McCaw said “I’m honoured to be offered this opportunity – I am already very familiar with the Foundation’s work and objectives, in assisting our seriously injured players and their families to carry on with their lives, education and businesses – this role provides a great opportunity for me to support the rugby and wider community, which has supported me and my rugby career over the years”.
Foundation Chairman, Gerard van Tilborg, welcomed McCaw’s appointment saying “Richie’s reputation and standing in the community will be of great benefit to our ongoing work and goals of supporting our rugby players who have been seriously injured. We have been talking with Richie for a while and we are really pleased that he has agreed to join our ranks”.
Sir Colin Meads, who has been Patron since 2013, following the passing of All Black icon Sir Wilson Whineray, said “I’m delighted that Richie has agreed to become a Patron for the Foundation alongside me.”
At the AGM today Former All Black Captain Andy Leslie replaced Tane Norton as the Rugby Foundation President. Andy was one of the founding First XV members in 1986.
Chief Executive, New Zealand Rugby Foundation Incorporated
Mobile: 021 212 7399
Notes for Editors:
- The New Zealand Rugby Foundation is a registered charity and incorporated society which was formed in December 1986 by the late Kel Tremain and the late Sir Russell Pettigrew.
- McCaw will support the work of the Foundation Chair, Gerard van Tilborg, President, Andy Leslie and directors – Andy Leslie, Tane Norton, David Latta, Maurice Trapp, Mark Peters, John Leslie, Anthony Boric, Bryan Williams, Graham Mourie, Kirsten Patterson, Andrew Golightly and Simon Tremain, son of the late Kel Tremain who formed the Foundation in 1986 along with the late Sir Russell Pettigrew.
- The Foundation provides life-long support and partnership to catastrophically injured rugby players and their families through all stages of their injury rehabilitation.
- The Foundation works closely with New Zealand Rugby and ACC to communicate the message of safety first, and to advocate strongly for safe play.