Highlanders looking forward to challenge of Brisbane Global Tens
- August 4, 2016
The fast-paced, flowing nature of rugby tens will suit the Highlanders down to the ground as they challenge for the inaugural Brisbane Global Tens rugby title next February, says captain Ben Smith.
The 2015 Super Rugby champions were eliminated from this season’s competition despite a courageous display in Johannesburg at the weekend, however Smith is already looking forward to the next chance to add to the team’s trophy cabinet.
“We love fast footy, and it’s certainly been a trait teams are developing and working on right across the competition,” Smith said. “For us, it’s going to be a great way to hit the 2017 season running, in a great festival type format that we know our team is absolutely going to love! We have lots of fans in Queensland and we can’t wait to get there and play in front of them and our travelling kiwi supporters in this awesome event.”
Played at Brisbane’s incredible Suncorp Stadium on February 11 and 12, the Brisbane Global Tens features all 10 New Zealand and Australian Super Rugby clubs plus French powerhouse Toulon, Japan’s Robbie Deans-coached Panasonic Wild Knights, South Africa’s Blue Bulls and the Samoan national team.
Teams featuring the game’s biggest stars will compete in ten-a-side matches over 10-minute halves in pool play and then knockout matches.
Highlanders CEO Roger Clark encouraged fans to travel to Brisbane to experience the event and support the team.
“The opportunity for us to continue to grow the popularity of our game and brand is really exciting,” Clark said.
“The festival event is going to attract new fans for our team, the competition and the sport, whilst creating a fantastic must-do event for our long-standing fans.”
Tickets, which go on sale to general public in New Zealand from Thursday, August 11, can be purchased from www.ticketek.com.au/BrisbaneTens
For more information on corporate packages and travel package specials visit the official Brisbane Global Tens website at www.brisbaneglobaltens.com or https://sportsnetholidays.com/events/rugby/brisbane-global-tens-2017/
Coach Tony Brown believes the tournament will play a vital role in the team’s pre-season preparations.
“Pre-season is a really significant phase of competition preparation for our team – physically, mentally and culturally,” Brown said.
“We travel so well as a group and to have the opportunity to test our fitness and conditioning in a unique format will give us great indication of where we are at as a team. As Ben said, we love fast footy, so an event like this is going to really spin our wheels”.
Brisbane Global Tens
- All ten Australian and New Zealand Super Rugby clubs and four elite invitational teams will compete (in 2017 the event will feature Toulon, the Bulls, Samoa and the Panasonic Wild Knights)
- Ten-players-per-side, ten-minutes-per-half, knockout tournament
- Culmination of a week-long festival of rugby
- 16 hours of compelling live rugby, featuring 28 matches played over two days
- Broadcast live across Australia, New Zealand, UK, Japan, Africa, France and other major international markets
- Held annually on the second weekend of February, two weeks prior to the start of the Super Rugby season, at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
- Launches the rugby season in Australia and New Zealand
- Sanctioned by the Australian Rugby Union and the New Zealand Rugby Union
- Tickets on sale in New Zealand from Thursday August 11. Visit www.ticketek.com.au/BrisbaneTens
- For more information on corporate packages and travel package specials visit the official Brisbane Global Tens website at www.brisbaneglobaltens.com or https://sportsnetholidays.com/events/rugby/brisbane-global-tens-2017/